Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Timber Peak and the Original LNOE to mix or not to mix?
12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
RE: Timber Peak and the Original LNOE to mix or not to mix?
Thanks for the opinions guys.

Does anyone have experience picking through each deck? When the cards are mixed together it seems like cards from the zombie pile that discard hero cards would be kinda nerfed. Since you will likely never completely deplete the hero deck. Anyone try to pick through the deck and make it so they are both more interesting in the long run?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Admittedly despite keeping TP seperate, I'm ALL IN with the cards... both Hero and Zombie decks. Original, Advanced, Promo (web exclusives) and all expansions... the works.

Maximises replayability (which is huge in gaming for me!) and really keeps players on their toes when they're searching for something specific. We actually like the fact that you're also not guaranteed to find specific item/townsfolk within the alloted number of turns anyway - it adds to the suspense, just like a movie.

Zombie events causing Hero card discards still have their place outside of deck depletion - eg as ZP, I like seeing a chainsaw or pump shotgun go by and the look of despair on the players faces when it does.

Regardless... I think there's no real right or wrong. Do what's best for your group and just have fun!

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
12-05-2013, 09:25 PM
(12-04-2013 06:41 PM)godathand Wrote:  ...When the cards are mixed together it seems like cards from the zombie pile that discard hero cards would be kinda nerfed.

The deck with all the cards is about 3 times the base deck (~180 vs ~60).
We actually multiply such Zombie cards by 3. So if the card says to discard the top 10 cards, we discard the top 30, etc. Seems to work out alright...and the Heroes have to look at 30 cards going to the discard.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
12-06-2013, 11:46 AM
(12-05-2013 09:25 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 06:41 PM)godathand Wrote:  ...When the cards are mixed together it seems like cards from the zombie pile that discard hero cards would be kinda nerfed.

The deck with all the cards is about 3 times the base deck (~180 vs ~60).
We actually multiply such Zombie cards by 3. So if the card says to discard the top 10 cards, we discard the top 30, etc. Seems to work out alright...and the Heroes have to look at 30 cards going to the discard.

Thats a nice house rule, may try that next time I play.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
I like to keep TP and base separate but will mix in promo cards. So if we pick a TP scenario we use that deck with the promo cards added. We tried shuffling everything together and we just didnt like it especially when it came to scenarios that revolved around searching.
02-09-2014, 08:51 PM
I know I am late to the thread but I just stumbled across it. Mixing all the decks to me doesn't work if you need gasoline for the scenario and they end up at the bottom of a 200 strong pile it ruins the game. If you don't get close to the hero pile running out you lose that part of the strategy and the original games were designed with no upgrade no extra special uber weapons and I think introducing loads of stuff over powers the little games.
Just my opinion to shoot me, at least not in the head
02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
There is the same ratio of gasoline and other scenario cards as before so as long as your deck is "shuffled" you shouldn't run into an issue of them all being buried although I bet even if you used just the 60 card deck it's so hard to get to the bottom of that so really it comes down to sometimes you get bad luck.
02-10-2014, 08:51 AM
60 cards is difficult but not impossible. Just like an apocalypse. We played with mega deck and didn't find the keys, scanning the deck after they were all in the bottom twenty cards. Unlucky I know but made the game pointless
02-10-2014, 10:17 AM
We have no trouble playing a mega mix up of all the expansions. As mentioned all seems balanced with suitable ratio of gas/keys and other scenario search items. We've never had a problem getting to see the scenario search items especially with cards which let you pull just what you need.
Have also had no problem with the discard side of things either, as there are zombie cards which allow certain cards to be removed from the game and seeing a card you need sent to the discard can be a pain to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 08:50 PM
(02-10-2014 08:51 AM)Fizzgaz Wrote:  60 cards is difficult but not impossible. Just like an apocalypse. We played with mega deck and didn't find the keys, scanning the deck after they were all in the bottom twenty cards. Unlucky I know but made the game pointless

But where was the closest "Just What I Needed" card?

Trick is to never, ever look at the deck after the game ends. Just assume it was the next card that you needed, so the loss wasn't really that bad.