Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Zombie Card idea - Gunshot attracts zombies
11-18-2012, 12:39 PM
RE: Zombie Card idea - Gunshot attracts zombies
Just occurred to me, a rethink on the Zombie Player(s) part too. Example - holding off on a Resilient or Knocked Away card if the ZP(s) can work it to his/her/their advantage.

Interesting stuff.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
(11-18-2012 04:02 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  
(11-18-2012 03:33 AM)Brentis Wrote:  I love this!!! I am making a variant of the game as an RPG. This is the perfect rule for ranged attacks. Thanks.

Most of the credit should go to StayPuft for the concept. Please let us know how the rule fits/works as part of your testing.

LNoE RPG - I'd be in that for sure!!!

My idea for the RPG is to have the Zombie Master run the zombies modified by what the characters do. The only way the normal zombie turn is followed would be if one of the characters dies and becomes a zombie hero. I have the character creating process done....just have to flesh out the rules. Work in progress....with making noise rule complete.
11-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow! I come back and everybody has taken this little nugget of an idea and turned it into something epic and awesome! I never thought of it like a custom rule! I could definitely see that being a lot of fun. I agree that it should come with a DOTS cost, though. It is definitely not something I would say you should use at all times. Just something as a really fun alternative.

I could actually see this going either way, either as one or two cards in the deck, or as just a custom rule with a DOTS cost. Either way would be fun.

Actually...

It could be the start of a really cool "Walking Dead" themed custom scenario! It would have this gunshot idea as a DOTS rule, but then would also have to have something equal added for the heroes. Then, it should also have "Always Zombie Heroes" and "Always Hero Replenish," as well.
11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
(11-19-2012 09:05 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Wow! I come back and everybody has taken this little nugget of an idea and turned it into something epic and awesome! I never thought of it like a custom rule! I could definitely see that being a lot of fun. I agree that it should come with a DOTS cost, though. It is definitely not something I would say you should use at all times. Just something as a really fun alternative.

I could actually see this going either way, either as one or two cards in the deck, or as just a custom rule with a DOTS cost. Either way would be fun.

Actually...

It could be the start of a really cool "Walking Dead" themed custom scenario! It would have this gunshot idea as a DOTS rule, but then would also have to have something equal added for the heroes. Then, it should also have "Always Zombie Heroes" and "Always Hero Replenish," as well.

You call it a nugget, I'd say it's more like a pepperoni pizza. You could call it simple, but it was a great idea; it fits so well and offers a new straegic perspective to the game.

The reason why I prefer to see it with a Dot Cost is because IMO adding custom cards to the game is somewhat more tricky (you want to make them look like the original FFP cards and you will also need to add zombie cards to bring balance to the game - hint: use a Dot Cost instead), also I think it SHOULD be a common feature like zombie hunger because it fits.

I'm definately going to use it BOTH for gunshots and explosions.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
(11-20-2012 08:16 AM)scarydk Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 09:05 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Wow! I come back and everybody has taken this little nugget of an idea and turned it into something epic and awesome! I never thought of it like a custom rule! I could definitely see that being a lot of fun. I agree that it should come with a DOTS cost, though. It is definitely not something I would say you should use at all times. Just something as a really fun alternative.

Actually...

You call it a nugget, I'd say it's more like a pepperoni pizza. You could call it simple, but it was a great idea; it fits so well and offers a new straegic perspective to the game.

The reason why I prefer to see it with a Dot Cost is because IMO adding custom cards to the game is somewhat more tricky (you want to make them look like the original FFP cards and you will also need to add zombie cards to bring balance to the game - hint: use a Dot Cost instead), also I think it SHOULD be a common feature like zombie hunger because it fits.

I'm definately going to use it BOTH for gunshots and explosions.

Glad you like it. I can definitely see the fun in it either way, whether just used as a card, or whether used as a custom rule.

You are right about custom cards. That is definitely harder to incorporate, especially since you'd want it to relatively look the same. You don't want it to be obvious that it is a custom card, or it makes it obvious to the opposing team when you have it.

I am still really thinking this would make an awesome kick off for an idea for a “Walking Dead” themed scenario. Now, I really want to make one. If only I can find the free time to think it up.
11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
"Walking Dead" themed scenario? YES PLEASE! Once I get TP for Christmas I'll have two law officer models (both Sherriff Anderson!) for Rick and Shane.
11-21-2012, 11:11 AM
(11-20-2012 09:38 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  I am still really thinking this would make an awesome kick off for an idea for a “Walking Dead” themed scenario. Now, I really want to make one. If only I can find the free time to think it up.

After having seen the first three episodes of season 2 of the Walking Dead, I can see what inspired you. There's a lot of sneaking around going on. Looks like there could be an excellent new custom scenario in that.

(11-21-2012 09:53 AM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  "Walking Dead" themed scenario? YES PLEASE! Once I get TP for Christmas I'll have two law officer models (both Sherriff Anderson!) for Rick and Shane.

Sounds like your Secret Santa has revealed a little more than intended. Watchmen02 At least you know that you're in for a pleasant 'surprise'!

11-21-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 12:46 PM by ForestRunner.)
(11-18-2012 11:07 AM)scarydk Wrote:  Summoning Blasts (2 Dots - ZP)

Gunshots:
When rolling to hit with a gun item, on the roll of +3, the number rolled indicates  the distance within which the gunshot may attract the dead.

For each zombie within attraction range roll a D6. On the roll of +3 the zombie may immediately move one space (D3 spaces if it's a zombie hero). Zombies may not ignore Zombie Hunger and must move directly towards the space from where the gun was fired. A zombie may only move once per turn as a result of Summoning Blasts.

Explosions:
An explosion (dynamite or gasoline blast) may attract zombies 6 spaces away. If a gun item is used to trigger an explosion, it's only the space where the explosion occured that may be used when rolling to attract zombies, not the space from where the triggering shot was fired.

For each zombie within attraction range roll a D6. On the roll of +3 the zombie may immediately move one space (D3 spaces if it's a zombie hero). Zombies may not ignore Zombie Hunger and must move directly towards the space where the blast occured. A zombie may only move once per turn as a result of Summoning Blasts.

Hi Scary... just thought I'd drop in with some feedback on your variant - been trying out the Summoning Blasts last few nights. Bravo on the idea.

1. The gunshot idea we deem perfect. We really like the die roll for range of attraction, and mixes it up well.

2. For the explosives, we ended up dispensing with the 6 space rule, and just opened it up to the entire board for simplicity. Makes sense for when the explosion starts a fire too.

We did find strategically it changes the dynamic a lot, which is great to mix up some scenarios. Fundamentally and mechanically is all keeping within the spirit of LNoE.

I think you're on a winner with this one.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey ForestRunner, thanks for giving the blasting a go. We all took a shot at StayPuft's idea and frankly I think it was your take that got my head spinning on this. I just thought it needed explosions. Watchmen02

To widen the blast zone for explosives makes perfect sense. The blow would probably make the ground shake on each board.

Honestly, I can't wait to try this out.

11-21-2012, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 09:11 PM by StayPuft.)
Awesome! I am loving where this is going.

Also, if anybody has thoughts on the Walking Dead scenario, feel free to let me know. I honestly haven't even had time to think about it yet, so I only have what I said so far. LOL!

If you have any ideas, feel free to jump in. Also, obviously our gunshots attract zombies rules would be in effect for the scenario, but any suggestions on what the heroes should get in return to balance that one out DOTS-wise?

(11-21-2012 11:11 AM)scarydk Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 09:38 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  I am still really thinking this would make an awesome kick off for an idea for a “Walking Dead” themed scenario. Now, I really want to make one. If only I can find the free time to think it up.

After having seen the first three episodes of season 2 of the Walking Dead, I can see what inspired you. There's a lot of sneaking around going on. Looks like there could be an excellent new custom scenario in that.

You've only seen the first 3 episodes of season 2? Hmmm.... *Evil Laughter* Then you haven't yet seen that Rick gets a sex change, and he and Shane start dating until Rick goes crazy later in the season and kills half the team because he is pissed that living in the middle of the zombie apocalypse means he can never get the official surgery and will have to always live as a pre-op transgender person.

... In case you didn't already figure out, I made every single word of that up. LOL!