Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Zombie Strategies (How do you handle playing zombies?)
11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
RE: Zombie Strategies (How do you handle playing zombies?)
Zombies attack well in hordes but are very vulnerable when alone or in pairs. The biggest limiting factor for zombies being able to attack in hordes is their low movement.

Try to surround heroes and box them in using buildings to limit their movement.

Don't hesitate to retreat zombies from bad situations (like guns). Nothing says the zombies have to chase players that are not adjacent to them.

Its a trick, get an axe...

Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Play to the scenario. Figure out the easiest way to win and go for it. Sometimes that means making adjustments on the fly. The most recent game, we won by changing our strategy to just killing heroes. Don't get stuck in the mindset of "this is what I have to do."
12-02-2010, 03:32 AM
I am the resident Zombie Player in my house, and I've been learning quite a lot since I bought this game. I'll list a few here for you:

1. burn through cards as quickly as possible. If a card isnt useful at the moment, discard it.

2. choose your targets carefully. as long as you block exit routes from buildings, you'll eventually corner them.

3. always block doorways when you're cornering heroes. because heroes cannot move diagonally through doorways, they'll have to stop at the zombie and fight. don't forget to leave one right behind the first as well. 2 turns to kill them is better than one.

4. your main goal is to grief the players. If i can walk away from the table and not have the heroes hating me, I know that I'm doing something very wrong.

--

with that being said, I often use Escape in the Truck as an introduction scenario for this game. It's easy, and a lot more interesting than Die Zombie, Die!

how I normally go about winning this one is to either work through my cards till I find Loner. or, which happens more often as i normally play with 2 hero players controlling 2 heroes each, I will kill off one hero each, then keep the others on the run.
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
i also like to trap hero's in buildings. even if they only fend you off and then run.. it usually changes some plan they were doing.. Watchmen02 thinking onthe fly and being disorganized on the part of the human player is greast for the zed player.
12-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I use the zombies too. The forces of darkness always feel more natural. I enjoy trapping the heroes the best buildings with one exit are:

Airplane Hanger
Plant
Church
Police Station

If any heroes go in these buildings PUNISH them make them pray for a swift death and laugh triumphantly as they fall. Always take out the weaker ones first (students) and go for the 4 hero kill win.
12-02-2010, 08:09 PM
that flare gun at the hanger sometimes comes in handy for them though!
12-02-2010, 08:18 PM
(12-02-2010 08:09 PM)soundguy Wrote:  that flare gun at the hanger sometimes comes in handy for them though!

'If' it's in the discard pile...
12-02-2010, 09:07 PM
(12-02-2010 08:03 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I use the zombies too. The forces of darkness always feel more natural. I enjoy trapping the heroes the best buildings with one exit are:

Airplane Hanger
Plant
Church
Police Station

If any heroes go in these buildings PUNISH them make them pray for a swift death and laugh triumphantly as they fall. Always take out the weaker ones first (students) and go for the 4 hero kill win.

The Hanger has 2 exits, and who actually goes into the Plant?

Playing almost exclusively as the Heroes, I actually detest the Antique Shop more than any other building. It's hard to maneuver and the rest of the board is actually a massive trap. It's very easy to be cut off in the Factory from the board's spawning pit side, so it's only a Lights Out away in the Library before the Hero is SOLed. This is by far the worst board section.
12-02-2010, 09:40 PM
(12-02-2010 08:03 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Always take out the weaker ones first (students) and go for the 4 hero kill win.

I have been wondering about this for some time. Don't the rules say the zeds win when they kill 2 heros? Is this only for certain scenarios? How could you ever get more than 1 zombie hero? I don't have any expansions yet; is this why? Thanks for helping a noob out.

My wife and I started playing with different levels of victory. Everything from 4 heros finish (Ultimate hero win) to all 4 are killed (Ultimate zombie win).
12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Viking: Zombies always win with 4 hero deaths, in all scenarios, unless otherwise specified. (Zombies also always win if the hero card deck is emptied.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user