Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enhancing the atmosphere?
08-01-2012, 04:27 AM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere?
(07-31-2012 11:09 PM)Leonard Wrote:  I really must get around to painting my mini's, I think I'm just terrified of messing them up as I've never done anything like it before. I saw a really cool ivory effect that someone over at BGG applied to their mini's so I might try to mimic that.

I like the idea of a background movie, I think black and white would be most appropriate. Thanks for your input, I might have to crack open the Halloween decorations a little early also!

Would anyone know the best place to buy extra mini's/props for the game itself? I'm thinking along the lines of creepy looking trees for the olde woods, maybe some ruins for the abandoned keep etc. I'm struggling to find something that conforms to the theme while also being appropriately sized (and affordable!).

I saw that Ivory effect. It looks cool, but I'd be terrified of doing it myself, as I'm only an adequate painter. Plus I'd prefer them to look like the characters.

There's a great thread in the LNOE section of BGG on painting that convinced me to take the plunge & I don't regret it HERE.

You can see my .02 pence at the end of it on what did & didn't work for me.

I was like you, afraid I'd mess them up, but I'm pleased with the results THUS FAR. I stared w/ the LNOE zombies (because zombies are pretty easy!) & worked up to the LNOE heroes. By the time I finished the zombies my skills & confidence were up enough that I'm pleased with the result.

I've finished the FanG Mobsters & almost done w/ the Nazi Soldiers. Still got the main Villains & the Heros to go... Insane19 (I'm saving ATOE for last!)

As for props, I don't have any suggestions YET. I'm eyeing some aquarium ruins & house on hill for the Manor & Keep & I've seen some Windmill statuary I'm considering as well. The ruins will need some re-paint to make them work. None are to scale, but I really only want them to sit at the edges of the board for "mood" anyway.

So far I've acquired more "bling" for FanG than ATOE. Insane19. I see lots of good stuff that can be re-purposed in craft stores like Michael's, Jo-Ann's & Hobby Lobby, or in Thrift Stores of all places! (scored a cool mini Greek pottery urn a few weeks ago that makes a nice dice cup for FanG. Zombie03 )

I plan on scoping out the local Hobby Town for railroad, etc, scenery that can be used as well. Zombie17
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Enhancing the atmosphere? - Leonard - 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - scarydk - 07-31-2012, 06:22 AM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - Old Dwarf - 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - Leonard - 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - JRSly - 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - vikinglad - 08-01-2012, 02:36 AM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - MoonSylver - 07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - Leonard - 07-31-2012, 11:09 PM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere? - MoonSylver - 08-01-2012 04:27 AM