Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What games have you bought recently?
06-23-2021, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2021 08:39 PM by rpgspree.)
RE: What games have you bought recently?
I've been out of the horror genre for a spell while trying to balance playing and expanding our collection. Recently sold a few to help tip the scales too. Got ahold of an open/unpunched copy of Zpocalypse awhile back on auction and was recently motivated to get it to the table.

The core of the game is about managing your own squad of heroes and surviving a number of days (2 to 4 complete rounds, depending on the scenario). It plays a bit like a light RPG, where every player has their own "party" of heroes. While they each have their own stats, most challenges and combat are fought based on the squad's collective stats.

Each "day" presents new rewards and perils in the form of events. The starting ones effect individual squads, where as the evening events affect everyone. The number and speed of the zombies varies on each event card, and also increases each day.

Daytime is primarily spent managing your squad and the fortifications protecting the bunker entrance. The zombies come out at night to do what zombies do, while the heroes fend them off and search for resources (food, items and weapons). The weapons are unique and have three levels of proficiency, depending on the squad's stat. Each level gains a better dice roll or special actions. Squads improve their combat stats by earning points for the defenses they build, the zombies they kill, and goals they meet.

The map tiles are interlocking and usually feature a combination of destroyed buildings and vehicles. The tile spaces also have a number of obstacles and hazards that effect movement and health. A few also have locations to search. Poking around can spawn more zombies though.

The game has a few rough edges. While the style is mostly thematically on point, some of the elements seem off or outright silly. For example, the evening event cards are lazily titled "Something's Happening", where as "Nightfall" would have been more consistent. Unfortunately, this type of game tends to be fiddly and Zpocalypse isn't an exception.

Overall an interesting game. It's a combination of resource management, "tower" defense, and tactical combat. Some of the scenarios are more competitive while others eschew the daily squad goals for straight up coop. Given that my main group is leaning more towards coop, and the uneven quality of the goals, we'll probably go that route. One thing that fans of LNOE might find lacking is the ability to play as the zombies. The Zmatster expansion is supposed to add that, but I don't have it and can't say much else about it. Someone has the kickstarter verson with the zmaster expansion on auction at BGG, if that is of any interest.

There's also a sequel to the game, Defend the Burbs. From what I understand, the defense locations are mostly houses, but it allows more weapon and defense crafting and upgrades, as well as character customization. It also has a campaign system, if that's your thing. Miniature Market has it and its expansion on sale.

When all else fails...run like hell!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What games have you bought recently? - rpgspree - 06-23-2021 09:06 PM