Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advanced Heroquest Ultimate Project (begins after 33 Years)
08-31-2023, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2023 05:11 PM by samuraitrev.)
Advanced Heroquest Ultimate Project (begins after 33 Years)
Greetings fellow painters and gamers, with the announcement that tzg is set to continue (for a while), thanks the kind donations to keep the lights on. I thought I would post my current project.

The Awakening - 1989 - HeroQuest
One Christmas I went over to friends house, he was that lucky kid who always got the coolest stuff because his parents had money. He'd get the Millennium Falcon, I'd get a General Nadine figure. He'd get the G.I. Joe Cobra Raptor, I'd get a Cobra Trooper Figure. I could go on but you get the idea. I walked in to see all this new stuff he had all over the floor and my attention was immediately grabbed by a boxed game known as HeroQuest. This was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. All was forgotten as I opened the box which was like discovering a whole new world. We set it up and played it for hours and I had just taken my first steps into what would become a lifelong passion.

Expanding Horizons - 1989 - Figures, Paints and Games
Pretty soon after the HeroQuest revelation. I was sat in a tedious science lesson and the teacher was talking at us about properties of metals. He'd brought some samples and one of them was a single boxed metal skeleton. My attention was immediately kindled and I asked where he'd gotten it from. He told me of this place over the other side of town called Book and Stuff (sadly long gone). I made it my mission to investigate asap. This was the days before the internet so I had to go and find the place and what I found was rather strange. I found this dark and secretive looking building that looked like a bookshop from the outside. Furtive, bearded guys at around 40 were sidling up to the place then darting in at the last moment. It was a bit like the adult shop in that respect. I had to get in there. When I entered I wasn't prepared for what I saw. Shelves and shelves of boxed metal figures. Not just by Citadel but other companies such as Grenadier and Marauder Miniatures. There were blister packs and boxed sets plus paints to actually paint them! At the top shelf was another revelation - boxed games! DungeonQuest, Talisman, Space Hulk, Dark Future, Space Marine, Adeptus Titanicus and the jewel in the crown (for me) Advanced Heroquest! I also picked up my first copy of the White Dwarf magazine.

Taking it to the Next Level - 1989 - Advanced Heroquest
As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I knew I would be saving up for it. I got 50p ($0.63) a week spending money and I believe the game cost around £30 ($37.99) at the time. I saved and saved and put my birthday money towards it too. I went down to the shop and asked the store owner (Brian) to fetch it me down. I paid my money and I was out of there on my way home. I always walked to save bus money. I got it home and I was beaming and my mum took my pictureZombie17

I opened the box and feasted my eyes on the contents. Miniatures, corridor and room tiles and tokens. I built everything and set up a dungeon it all looked so cool! I soon opened the rulebook expecting it to be much the same as the original HeroQuest. How wrong I was! The only similarity was they were both dungeon crawlers. Even the front cover had no resemblance to the contents. No Barbarian and none of the monsters were in the box! Even the Skaven weren't depicted on the front cover. It is my belief that this was a second choice for the box art of the original HeroQuest. I sincerely believe that Games Workshop expected that you should own both games. I didn't... The rule set was a whole new world to a kid who had barely grasped HeroQuest. I really, really tried to learn them but when my mates were introduced to the game they quickly lost interest. I tried playing solo but that held no interest to me either. I read my White Dwarf magazines and began to paint some of the miniatures but a slow realisation came to me that the game was beyond me. I don't recall when we parted company or what happened to it. It either got swapped to a friend or sold on a carboot sale.

Friends Reunited - 2021 - The Return of Advanced Heroquest
I never stopped painting and gaming throughout the years and I bought and enjoyed many of the aforementioned games. I particularly enjoyed Space Hulk. I never lost my interest in dungeon crawlers I picked up HeroQuest and much later Descent 1st ed. and after that Gloomhaven. I got all the expansions to Descent and I painted almost all of the miniatures for the base set. Yet something was missing, something at my core kept pulling me towards Advanced Heroquest. It's probably the nostalgia but after lots of research many people swear by it. Including Daniel from The Dungeon Dive and Always Board Never Boring. Two channels that many people aren't aware of but I think they're brillant and deserve more traction. I read the rules online and made my own notes. The rules had now become clear to me and I began to hunt for it. I eventually found a copy of it that was in pretty good shape on Facebook Marketplace and I bought it. When it arrived, 30 odd years dissolved and I was that kid again.

I had found a new project and this is what I'm going to share with anyone who wants to follow along. I have LOTS of stuff painted already and I will be posting my work on here on a daily or semi daily basis. I have almost every miniature from the game and I will be painting and posting them on here. Here's the Heroes to start with. I placed them on square bases as the original round bases don't fit on the dungeon tiles! Zombie20

Please comment or ask questionsWatchmen02 Have you played/owned it? Would you play it?

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2023, 05:29 PM
RE: Advanced Heroquest Ultimate Project (begins after 33 Years)
I owned & played both HQ & AHQ (both long gone).
AHQ was vastly superior (IMO) it had tiles rather than a board
& system which allowed you to create /populate your dungeons.
(somehow it got lost when I moved).

Later I picked up Warhammer Quest which became my main Dungeon Crawl
Game.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
08-31-2023, 09:53 PM
(08-31-2023 05:29 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I owned & played both HQ & AHQ (both long gone).
AHQ was vastly superior (IMO) it had tiles rather than a board
& system which allowed you to create /populate your dungeons.
(somehow it got lost when I moved).

Later I picked up Warhammer Quest which became my main Dungeon Crawl
Game.

OD

Do you miss Advanced Heroquest? or did Warhammer Quest completely replace it in every way for you?

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
09-01-2023, 11:11 AM
I do miss AHQ & am pissed it somehow didn't survive my move.
WHQ did replace AHQ but I did use it to Home Brew Dungeons
in various settings so I hated to lose the Rulebook.

OD

09-01-2023, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2023 07:30 PM by samuraitrev.)
Henchmen

Next up we have the Henchmen. The boxed game contained 12 plastic Henchmen Miniatures. The sculpts are all exactly the same apart from their different weapons. Halberd, Sword and Spear. I'm really not a fan of painting identical sculpts so I painted just one of each type. Other Henchmen will be represented by metal miniatures in the future. The uniforms are all from a colour scheme contained in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles (4th ed.) Warhammer Armies: The Empire pg. 48 (1992). From left to right Halberdier of Hochland, Swordsman of Talabheim and Spearman of Nordland.

Henchmen are used in the game to back up the Heroes in combat. They do not count as Characters. They can be hired as a Man - at - Arms for 50 Gold Crowns.

Henchmen represent people in the Old World who have heard of a Hero's prestige in their local tavern and wish to emulate them. Perhaps gain their fame and fortune in some forgotten catacomb. Perhaps seeking adventure in other lands slaying monsters in service of the Empire. Maybe the mercenary Henchman just wants to put food in front of his family and he's desperate for work. Either way, these brave, naive or desperate individuals end up joining the Heroes in the crumbling dungeons. Many never return to see the blessed light of day...

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome, more coming tomorrow.Zombie17

09-01-2023, 03:22 PM
Nice Work, the Henchmen even by today's standards for figs have held up well.
I'm getting more & more pissed I somehow lost my AHQ stuff, although
I still have the Skraven I painted up.

OD

09-02-2023, 02:37 PM
(09-01-2023 03:22 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Nice Work, the Henchmen even by today's standards for figs have held up well.
I'm getting more & more pissed I somehow lost my AHQ stuff, although
I still have the Skraven I painted up.

OD

I totally get that. Is it worth trying to hunt a copy down? There's several on eBay for a reasonable price.

09-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Hmmmmmmm..... I'll check it out. I'm in a Game buying pause but for a good price?

OD

09-02-2023, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2023 07:32 PM by samuraitrev.)
Next up, we have the dungeon doors. The game came with only 6 plastic doors in the box which isn't really enough so I bought some more off eBay and set about the task of painting them up. I really do think it's well worth doing too. As it just adds more realism to the games and with a bit of drybrushing over a black undercoat they're pretty much done. I wanted to give them all a rusty look as the dungeons are damp and no one ever goes around with a can of WD40 to oil them so I imagine every door will give a creepy CREEEEEEEEK noise.

What's behind the door?

In the game doors cover one space but I'm going to use the unofficial Enhanced Advanced Heroquest Rulebook (available to download online) rule of having doors cover two spaces. This prevents doors being used as bottlenecks where a tank just stands in the doorway.

The only issue with these is they're very flimsy on the hinge section and can snap if you're not careful. I used two 2mm magnets and fixed one see the picture. They look obvious at this angle but when they're stood up you can't see the magnets. I've never seen this done before I thought I would give it a go. I do love how they open and close though and easily represent open and closed doors in the dungeon.

Perhaps not the most exciting of posts but thanks for looking Watchmen02

09-02-2023, 04:33 PM
I may still have the doors as I've used them in other Dungeon Crawl Games.
Nice job on the rust detail.

OD