Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone out there have ALL the promo cards?
08-31-2008, 07:41 AM
Anyone out there have ALL the promo cards?
Hey. I'm new to this forum, but I recognize a lot of you from BGG. I'm a little turned off of BGG right now -- I find it too confontational. From what I've read on this forum, the general ambiance is a little more . . . respectful. Anyway, I've had considerable interest in the promo cards for LNOE and ATOE. I'm a collector at heart, and I don't really feel satisfied until my collection is "complete," which, to me, includes the promo cards. There are 10 "rare" ones -- you had to pre-order or attend a convention or buy something from the web store to get them. Those are numbered 1-10. The second ten, numbered 11-20, are in the "stock up" scenario and the special edition CD.

I have all 20 now. It took considerable effort to get them all. I was just wondering, does anyone else have them all? Is it a rare treat, or common?

I guess I want to leave this thread open to discussion about the promo cards. Do you have them? Do you want them? Do you think they're a good idea or a cheesy way to get you to buy more? Do you use them in-game?

Etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2008, 07:46 AM
RE: Anyone out there have ALL the promo cards?
One other thing -- which two promos come with ATOE? I'm still awaiting my copy. I saw one on BGG listed as the "Gencon" promo, otherwise, no pics.
08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't have the promo cards but I did order the "stock up" scenario and it's cards. They still haven't arived yet Insane19
I'm not quite sure how to feel about those "special" cards. I don't have that much interest in them because I don't think they add to the game for everyone.
Maybe for collectors it's a good thing.
On the other hand I think the stock up thing is also a little expansive. I have to order them from the U.S. The price is reasonable but shipping is a f'ing killer.
I don't mind the extra's but I would prefer it if it would come packed with a little more that just one scenario and a couple of cards. I wouldn't mind waiting the time just to get 20 more cards and 3 more scenarios.

The special edition cd is something I will pass up on because I think it is total crap. The music that is. Zombie03
And the idea of packing 2 more cards with that truely is a cheesy way.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
The 2 AToE Promo Cards are :Highwayman--er woman-its rather
Obvious:rolleyes: & Secret Passage.

I got stock up & i'm not sure if I have anyothers,i'm not
into promo cards.I do like the way FFP handles them
just alternative art work rather than specials that give
you a "leg up"

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
08-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Emp Wrote:I don't have the promo cards but I did order the "stock up" scenario and it's cards. They still haven't arived yet Insane19
I'm not quite sure how to feel about those "special" cards. I don't have that much interest in them because I don't think they add to the game for everyone.
Maybe for collectors it's a good thing.
On the other hand I think the stock up thing is also a little expansive. I have to order them from the U.S. The price is reasonable but shipping is a f'ing killer.
I don't mind the extra's but I would prefer it if it would come packed with a little more that just one scenario and a couple of cards. I wouldn't mind waiting the time just to get 20 more cards and 3 more scenarios.

The special edition cd is something I will pass up on because I think it is total crap. The music that is. Zombie03
And the idea of packing 2 more cards with that truely is a cheesy way.

I tend to agree. Here's my personal feeling on the promo cards -- I'm a little torn. On one hand, I do quite like them -- I've used them often and they do change the game up a bit. The most obvious example is the chainsaw: having two is just a blast. We've actually had both chainsaws out on the table at the same time. It's fun little situations like that which the promo cards can afford. Oddly enough, it hasn't changed the balance of the game, because they're released in (as Jason calls them) "balanced pairs," and the balance really does seem to hold out.

On the other hand, they're obviously a cash cow. The "Stock Up" supplement and the CD were made to get more money -- not that it's necessarily a bad thing. After all, Flying Frog is a young startup and I don't begrudge them the money.

The "exclusive" promos (#1-10) are also to cash in, but in a less direct way. Those who want them need to pre-order from the company (at an increased price than they'd pay elsewhere), be at a convention, or order something (like the zombie figures). Here's how I got mine . . . two came with the original game (if you bought it early), two came with the Growing Hunger pre-order, two came with the Stock Up supplement pre-order, two came if you bought the brown zombies from the webstore early on, and two (#1 and #2) were given out at Gencon and also were available with the red zombies on the webstore.

Again, I'm torn. I like them, but as I said earlier I've gone to considerable effort and paid a fair bit to get them all -- more than I'd care to calculate. I'm neither saying they're good nor bad, just commenting. I'd like to head more of what you all think.
08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Old Dwarf Wrote:The 2 AToE Promo Cards are :Highwayman--er woman-its rather
Obvious:rolleyes: & Secret Passage.

Thanks . . . I've been dying to know.

Old Dwarf Wrote:I got stock up & i'm not sure if I have anyothers,i'm not
into promo cards.I do like the way FFP handles them
just alternative art work rather than specials that give
you a "leg up"

OD

I forgot to mention that out of all the ways that I know of when releasing promo cards, FFPs method of using alternate image cards only (so there's no cards which aren't available in some form in the main games) is my favorite. I still want them, though!

I do like knowing that the promos aren't important to some people -- when I get a game I like to get the complete set, and I tend to focus on completing the collection. It would be nice to not care about the promo cards . . . I wish I could be like that.
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
First off welcome TC. I agree with you about BGG, there is a bit too much sniping at others for my liking.

On the subject of promo cards, I am not really a fan of them. Being in England, shipping prices mean I can really only order small expansions or replacement minis direct from Flying Frog. I have gotten a couple of promo cards this way. I cannot even think about trying to collect the lot when there is no way I can think of ordering a game direct..which is a shame as I would love to pre-order AToE. None of the British sites have it listed yet!

The cost of shipping and the game works out at about £45 in total BUT there is a distinct possibility that I would have to pay TAX on this (any item over £18 (inc P&P) can be liable) which really would push up the price! I once bought a shirt from the US and paid more in TAX etc than the item was worth.

The idea of different image promo's is something that seems to be all over at the moment....Film magazines come out with limited edition different covers (the latest here was for The Clone Wars a good cover and an evil cover), also DVD's get released from certain stores with "exclusive" sleeves.

I don't really like the trend as it is purely a money-making scam...."collect all six" = "Pay for the item six times"!!
08-31-2008, 12:34 PM
zombie67 Wrote:First off welcome TC. I agree with you about BGG, there is a bit too much sniping at others for my liking.

On the subject of promo cards, I am not really a fan of them. Being in England, shipping prices mean I can really only order small expansions or replacement minis direct from Flying Frog. I have gotten a couple of promo cards this way. I cannot even think about trying to collect the lot when there is no way I can think of ordering a game direct..which is a shame as I would love to pre-order AToE. None of the British sites have it listed yet!

The cost of shipping and the game works out at about £45 in total BUT there is a distinct possibility that I would have to pay TAX on this (any item over £18 (inc P&P) can be liable) which really would push up the price! I once bought a shirt from the US and paid more in TAX etc than the item was worth.

The idea of different image promo's is something that seems to be all over at the moment....Film magazines come out with limited edition different covers (the latest here was for The Clone Wars a good cover and an evil cover), also DVD's get released from certain stores with "exclusive" sleeves.

I don't really like the trend as it is purely a money-making scam...."collect all six" = "Pay for the item six times"!!

Agreed. I'm in Canada, so, while I pay less than you (especially with the exchange rate from GBP to Canadian dollars!), I do pay quite a lot more than the American buyers due to shipping. I feel your pain.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been to England -- lovely country. The history there is incredible to people from Canada. I live in Alberta, and the oldest standing building in the entire province is the "Father Lacombe Chapel" from 1861 . . . and it's been moved. Seeing the archeological diggings of Roman ruins under London is just fascinating.

Wow, way off topic!
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2008 01:59 PM by Canadian Pittbull.)
Welcome TC!

I am not a big fan of exclusives when it comes to anything as I believe that if it is made then it should be made available to everyone with the intital release or made available in stores at some point. But I did pick up the SE CD and the Stock Up supplement not from a "Gotta Get them all" point of view but more of a support the company that made this kickass game.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
08-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Emp Wrote:The special edition cd is something I will pass up on because I think it is total crap. The music that is. Zombie03

Be nice, Emp. She IS a member of our boards. You're entitled to your opinion, but be respectful. I'd hate to sic my legion of undead munions on you. Thanks!

AND

Welcome theconcerned... we've been getting a few new recruits lately. I like that! Also, thanks for the kind words about the board. I try to keep it a nice place. After all, it's all about community. Oh and I don't know if anyone noticed, but Jason Hill FINALLY joined!Zombie17

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user