Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Couple quick rules questions
01-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Couple quick rules questions
Fence post. Can the fence post ability be used if you search? I read it as you have to move to do it as part of your move.

Barricade. Can you search and barricade? Again someone contested move/search action muddled wording with phases.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: Couple quick rules questions
(01-20-2014 07:54 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Fence post. Can the fence post ability be used if you search? I read it as you have to move to do it as part of your move.

The card states "At the end of the Hero's move, ..." - I would take that as the Fence Post can be used after your Move Phase. There are other actions you can do during your Move Phase, one of which is Search.

(01-20-2014 07:54 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Barricade. Can you search and barricade? Again someone contested move/search action muddled wording with phases.

You bring up an interesting question. I think you're on to something here ch82. We have always played it that a Barricade is instead of Moving or Searching...with the understanding that you can only do one action during your Move Phase. (Now I'm not sure how/why we made that assumption.)

The rule in SF states: "Any time a Hero in a building has a 4 or higher for Movement, they may take a special Move Action to Build or Reinforce a Barricade." It does not state that it is in place of anything, as it does for the Survival Decks (in place of normal search).

The fact that it is called a "special Move Action" opens the door for this to be in addition to the traditional options in the Move Phase. I find nothing now that says the Hero is limited to just one action during his Move Phase. In fact there are other cards/abilities now that allow multiple actions during the Move Phase. Run 'n' Gun comes to mind (from BF Hero Upgrades), and I'm sure there are others.

Interesting that you can remove a reinforcement marker during your move. Why not build one during your move.

If it holds up you could move then build a barricade

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Actually I was talking more about the exerting yourself (take a wound) to hastily throw up a barricade. Since you can do that at the end of your move. To me you take a move action OR a search action but it seems the game tries to mash them together.
01-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Yes, move or search are the basic options in the base game Move Action. True, it could have been worded better from the start.

But the discovery of moving or searching, and building a barricade is enlightening to me.

01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
The first phase of a Hero turn is Move Action. During this phase you choose to Move or Search. When using Barricades you are given a Special Move Action. This is something that replaces a normal Move Action. A Hero who rolls a 4 or higher may choose to A)Move 4 spaces B)Stay put and build/reinforce a barricade C)Search. No matter the choice at the end of the phase you can take wound(s) to build/reinforce barricades.
01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
(01-21-2014 08:59 AM)stubobj Wrote:  The first phase of a Hero turn is Move Action. During this phase you choose to Move or Search. When using Barricades you are given a Special Move Action. This is something that replaces a normal Move Action. A Hero who rolls a 4 or higher may choose to A)Move 4 spaces B)Stay put and build/reinforce a barricade C)Search. No matter the choice at the end of the phase you can take wound(s) to build/reinforce barricades.

This is what's correct.
01-21-2014, 12:26 PM
(01-21-2014 08:59 AM)stubobj Wrote:  The first phase of a Hero turn is Move Action. During this phase you choose to Move or Search. When using Barricades you are given a Special Move Action. This is something that replaces a normal Move Action. A Hero who rolls a 4 or higher may choose to A)Move 4 spaces B)Stay put and build/reinforce a barricade C)Search. No matter the choice at the end of the phase you can take wound(s) to build/reinforce barricades.

What is the basis for sacrificing your move or search in order build a barricade? The rule does not state the barricade is in place of anything...as it does, for example, for drawing a Survival Deck card.

01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
(01-21-2014 10:34 AM)alderdust Wrote:  

This is what's correct.

Shame but logical - you can't build a barricade AND search. Though I would still prefer to drop the 4+ die roll requirement it certainly adds tension - even panic!
01-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Its called a "Special MOVE ACTION" The rule book is pretty clear that you get to either search or move during the Move Action phase.
01-21-2014, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2014 02:58 PM by alderdust.)
(01-21-2014 12:26 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  

What is the basis for sacrificing your move or search in order build a barricade? The rule does not state the barricade is in place of anything...as it does, for example, for drawing a Survival Deck card.

There are scenarios that call for barricades one being in SotF. If you feel you are right and everyone else is wrong feel free to play it whatever way you wish and is more fun to you...however it is a special move action and it gives you another option instead of moving or searching. Note that using barricades is a DOT requirement (introduced in Growing Hunger) that costs 2 DOTs to use and that needs balancing if you are using it outside of a scenario that calls for them for instance giving the zombies a lights out of their choice (2 dots) or 2 random lights out (2dots).

Grave weapons and Survival Decks are balanced against each other so I use them every games. I only use barricades if its called for in the scenario.

See these couple threads for information on DOTs:

Labrys made some nice cards that can be used for printing.

http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thread-Dot-Cards-Scenario-Special-Rule-Cards-Dice-Rule-Cards?highlight=dot

http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...hlight=dot