Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead island
09-14-2011, 12:34 AM
Dead island
Has anyone played dead island If so how is it?

Eating brains and taking names.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
RE: Dead island
I have played a little bit of it on the PC, but I need to find a way to either cool my GPU better or to afford a better GPU, because it's really taxing what my 2-year-old video card can handle (note: gameplay is smooth, but it drives the card so hard that my computer ends up rebooting after 20-30 minutes of gameplay to keep from overheating).

I LOVE it so far. Very few games manage to pull off first-person melee with any kind of success, especially when melee is almost all you are able to do, but Dead Island seems to be able to do so, and it's an absolute blast to play. The fact that all your weapons are constantly breaking down and must either be repaired or replaced does a lot to add to the intensity and atmosphere, and the fact that the melee is so up close and personal means you never really feel "safe" from the zombies. I love Left 4 Dead, but the guns do give you the chance to keep the fight at a distance and only have to worry about the occasional zombie (or a special zombie) posing any real threat to your character. With Dead Island, every zombie you encounter is a threat.

Like I said, I only have a couple of hours worth of gameplay simply because of the challenge my GPU presents, but based on my first impressions, it's a must-have.
09-14-2011, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 09:36 PM by abomination.)
Thank you for the answer. I'm glad its mostly melee, I think thats the reason I didn't really care for left for dead all that much Is that you always have a gun and ammo for the most part isn't an issue. Dead island reminds me of the elder scroll games by looking at how it plays rather than left for dead which is what I was hoping for.

09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
My friend from the forums Mr Onearm has this game and speaks very highly of it, he said next week he was going to let me play it when he gets the New Gears.

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-15-2011, 09:59 PM
(09-15-2011 07:57 PM)Pred Wrote:  My friend from the forums Mr Onearm has this game and speaks very highly of it, he said next week he was going to let me play it when he gets the New Gears.

cool let me know what you think

09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I've been playing it for a week now and it's great. I'm playing it on PS3.

The first person melee reminds me of the game "Condemned", in that one they had it good to (if you haven't played this one...do so.)

The best thing in the game is that you have choices. At first I was "oh yeah, zombies!! let's go!" and now I'm starting to pick my fights more carefully. Avoiding fights even just to spare my weapons. I guess that is how it would be in real life too, instead of storming and swinging like a nutball you would try to avoid them.
Ofcourse in the game you can't avoid them all (wich is cool ofcourse) and the melee is very brutal.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
It is incredibly dull. I've crashed numerous times, the aiming is glitchy and targeting is off by... a lot. Zombies respawn, yet weapons do not. So those side missions tend to do a lot more harm. Kicking makes the game way too easy.

I play it on the PC and to be honest with all the crashes I only got like 4 hours into the game before quitting since there is no save feature, only saves at checkpoints.

Consoles may be better.

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
No problem with crashing here.

09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Ive been playing all day, and just made it to act 2 in the city... holy crap it 10x harder here

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
10-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Yeah, in the city things go from "ok" to "what the hell...AARRGGHHH!!" really fast Watchmen02