Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Does Timber Peak seem worth it? and Concerns on the L-shaped Boards
10-30-2012, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 02:41 PM by alderdust.)
Wink Does Timber Peak seem worth it? and Concerns on the L-shaped Boards
I have all the other expansions for LNoE except the newest one, Timber Peak. My game group has complained the game is getting too complicated and cluttered with all the new added decks and things. Do you feel the expansion enhances the game tremendously or is it just more clutter? If you dont mind give me your pros and cons of this expansion. Thanks! Zombie17
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2012, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 04:09 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Does Timber Peak seem worth it?
Timber Peak does NOT add clutter. It adds variation on what's already there. Its only "new" mechanic (experience) doesn't take up a heck of a lot of space, either physically or mentally.

Otherwise, it's more characters, more boards, more cards [for the existing decks], and more scenarios.

As for tackling the clutter problem -- Most of the time we don't play with the SotF rules/optional decks unless it's a SotF scenario, or we really want to add them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the reply mgstout!
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
The other thing to remember is that Timber Peak is not just an expansion. It is what is known as a "Stand Alone Expansion." This means it can be used as an expansion to the original game, but it can also be played by itself as a completely separate game.

So, they may actually enjoy playing Timber Peak for a change, as it goes back to the basics a bit, but still also adds some cool new stuff.

I would also agree with mqstout. One of the cool things about the expansions is you can easily pop each of them in and out whenever you want. Use which ones you want, don't use those you don't. Then, the next day, you can change your mind and easily integrate different ones and remove others.

Plus, unless the scenario specifically calls for any of them, you don't really even have to use any of them if you want. So, you can mix and match however you want. If your gaming group wants a little break from all the complexity, you can make sure to play scenarios that don't involve any (or too many) of the expansions and make it more simple. Conversely, for the more die hard LNOE fans, you can take any scenario and add whatever you want into it (though, usually you would want to be sure to at least balance out the two sides if you do).
10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm one of the seemingly few users here who has kept Timber Peak seperate from "standard" LNOE... ie 2 seperate games.

My approach is to now build on TP when the Blood in the Forest expansion is released, and whatever other Web based content is released.

Timber Peak is more feral/aggressive, and find momentum swings quite extreme as compared to "standard" LNOE. That works for me and my group however. Respect we'll all be different on this.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
(10-30-2012 10:25 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  I'm one of the seemingly few users here who has kept Timber Peak seperate from "standard" LNOE... ie 2 seperate games.

If/when I get Timber Peak, I'll probably play the two games separate but bring some elements of from one set to another, like the Experience system of TP to base LNOE games, etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
I broke down and ended up purchasing the game yesterday it should be here tomorrow! Thanks for all the comments!
10-31-2012, 03:29 PM
(10-31-2012 02:50 PM)alderdust Wrote:  I broke down and ended up purchasing the game yesterday it should be here tomorrow! Thanks for all the comments!

Good call. Mine arrived a few days ago. You won't be disappointedWatchmen02
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
I've got Timber Peaks on my list of requested Xmas gifts. So I should be able to experiment in January (OR RIGHT AFTER WE OPEN PRESENTS!!!!).
10-31-2012, 08:47 PM
(10-30-2012 10:38 PM)LabRat Wrote:  
(10-30-2012 10:25 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  I'm one of the seemingly few users here who has kept Timber Peak seperate from "standard" LNOE... ie 2 seperate games.

If/when I get Timber Peak, I'll probably play the two games separate but bring some elements of from one set to another, like the Experience system of TP to base LNOE games, etc.

I'm pretty much using the same plan. I plan to basically keep them as separate games, but sometimes use elements from one in the other. I think this is one quick and easy way to keep things from getting too complicated. For example, to keep the deck sizes from getting TOO big.