Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Downloaded HERO template & GIMP - First HERO
01-27-2011, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 02:57 AM by Nebulon.)
Downloaded HERO template & GIMP - First HERO
Quote:Having much trouble editing the HERO template text. I'm not a program guy, so I'm guessing I'm missing an obvious cue.

Anybody using this combo have some advice?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

FIRST WORK -
Feel Free to comment, and use in your game...
I'll be doing more, then a design of a single 'L' board to go with this HERO.

[Image: DrLoomis.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2011, 06:46 PM
RE: Downloaded HERO template & GIMP
DISEASED just wrote this in another thread. Maybe it will help you out?

Quote:After a quick search this simple tutorial should cover everything you will use to create a hero template. She kind of rambles on, but you can see everything she does with layer management and text placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvCfs_Pzw...re=related
01-27-2011, 11:16 PM
(01-27-2011 06:46 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  DISEASED just wrote this in another thread. Maybe it will help you out?

Quote:After a quick search this simple tutorial should cover everything you will use to create a hero template. She kind of rambles on, but you can see everything she does with layer management and text placement.

Tried to view it, got this message: The URL contained a malformed video ID.
Seems that the link is cut off in the other post as far as display, but the link itself is all there. Here it is again:
01-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Tooling around the program some more. Tell me if I'm wrong, you have to re-do all text? There is no way to edit the existing text?

I'm getting handy with the text tool. Its just a pain to do this way.

Still working, feel free to throw me some tips.

Is there a font name to match the template text?

Thanks-
01-28-2011, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2011 07:13 AM by vikinglad.)
I have never done this, but I want to learn with you. There are some font downloads I found on the site. Does this help? Let me know. Ima going to go download Gimp right now.

Font Download Page
...never just type "Gimp" into Google. You gotta be specific.
01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Text is Dominca I believe. The Italicized version is another font. You can get them both by DL the scenerio creation kit.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
01-28-2011, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2011 08:42 AM by vikinglad.)
I think I can select the existing text; how do I choose to edit it? All I can get the "Add/Edit Text" tool to do is make new text layers.
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes, unfortunately, you have to remove the existing text and replace it.

Vector text can be re-edited "Sometimes" and then only usually if you are using the same program it was created in, and are working from a project file and not a finished file (And these templates are finished files, so even if they were vectored text, you couldn't edit them.)

Personally, I've never used GIMP... I use Paint Shop Pro 9, the version before JASC sold out to Corel and Corel frakked the program up. BUT... If I can find the time (Maybe one night while the wife is doing her collage homework) I can try and make a tutorial... Either get GIMP and figure it out there... or try and make one more generic where you still have to figure out how to do X with your program (Which would be next to useless... but better than nothing, I suppose.)

I don't know... I'll try and come up with something as soon as I can. I can't draw to save my ass... But I can edit like no one else. Zombie03 LOL
01-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Nice, thanks. I am going to keep plodding forward at night in the mean time. Tonight I guess I will try to delete all of the text and make my own. So you delete that entire layer that the text is on, then just make a new layer on top and write new text there, right?

I watched the video tutorial. It wasn't that helpful. It told me everything I had learned myself by fooling with GIMP for 5 minutes, but answered none of my questions that came up.

Spoiler Alert: That annoying girl lives through the entire video!
01-28-2011, 10:40 PM
(01-28-2011 06:36 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Nice, thanks. I am going to keep plodding forward at night in the mean time. Tonight I guess I will try to delete all of the text and make my own. So you delete that entire layer that the text is on, then just make a new layer on top and write new text there, right?

YW, not sure how fast I can get one done, But I'll see what I can do.

As for the text, you will want to make sure the layer is in the same place in the stack of layers. What I usually do, is use an eraser 'brush' to remove the text (or image or whatever) from the layer then put the new text (or whatever) right on the original layer. It takes a few steps out of the process and just simply makes things a little easier.

Or, if you want to keep original placement (adds a few steps, but helps in lining things up a bit) you can make a new layer just above the layer you want to edit, put your text (or whatever) in, line it up to the original layer, then delete the original layer. However, if you know where the text goes and what size and color it is and are good at placement, I'd go with my first suggestion. It's a bit faster and a tad easier... even though this option isn't that hard and easier to make sure your text is the right color and size and winds up in the right place.