Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just got the game..some issues
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Just got the game..some issues
Hello everyone. I just bought the game and in many of the reviews I read before buying said that the zombies are slightly favoured.

I have now played 4 games. 3 were the basic game w/ Die Zombies Die and one was the advanced game where we randomly picked Save the Townsfolk.

The zombies have only won once and that was because the hero was stupid and moved into a space where the following turn I could attack him with 6 zombies. I also got a taken over card first turn that was zombies choice so I massacred one hero turn 1.

Other than that the zombies are getting their asses kicked in each of the other three games. I almost don't want to play Save the Townsfolk again as when we played that I was the zombie and I did NOTHING the whole game.

Am I just playing the zombies wrong? I tried rushing them with small packs and once that failed I built up piles of like 8 zombies at a time to attack them.

The entire game the hero's just camped out in the same bloody buildings and got so itemed up I couldn't do jack all.

Now I wasn't rolling the best and they were rolling amazing but other than that nothing seemed out of place. Am I doing something wrong as I did about two wounds that were instantly healed the entire game? The only thoughts I had were I didn't get more than one taken over card and it was placed on a building on the other side of the map.

By the end of the scenario I was so frustrated I said "I would be happy to never play this scenario again". I don't really want that to be the case so a little insight would be welcome?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
RE: Just got the game..some issues
Reread the rulebook and the FAQs. If the zombies are having that bad of a time, there's a good chance one of the big rules (like combat fight dice) is being misinterpreted.

The best advice for a zombie player, which always comes up in every thread like this: play your cards. If you're not playing them, discard them. You draw up to full every turn, so use them. Don't hold on to them. If you can't use it now/soon, get rid of it to get something that's immediately useful.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
My friends always hide out in the damn gunshop and that gets annoying!! I play as zombies 99.5% . The way I win or try to is to find their weak link, IE students and just wail on em! Its quite a gamble some times but it works for me. Wish i could be of more help.
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I had the same problem....then I took the advice about card cycling (always attempt to draw a full amount each turn). Discard when you can, play it even if it has no effect, whatever. Draw cards! It works. I felt it would be a waste...but no....

03-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I had no idea I could discard..this could be our last night on earth is useless when the husband picks all males. I see zombies winning more.
03-01-2011, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 10:34 PM by samuraitrev.)
(03-01-2011 09:37 PM)kkamena Wrote:  I had no idea I could discard..this could be our last night on earth is useless when the husband picks all males. I see zombies winning more.

2) Draw New Zombie Cards

Before drawing up, each Zombie player may discard up to one card from their hand if they wish. (LNOE rulebook p.9)

Give him hell KWatchmen02

I also got a taken over card first turn that was zombies choice so I massacred one hero turn 1.

From the "My God, They've Taken the..." card.
Place a Zombie from the Zombie Pool in each empty space of this building...Zombies placed here may not move this turn.

Sorry but you did an illegal move. Your zombies couldn't have attacked the heroes turn 1 as they couldn't have been placed in the same spaces as the heroes. So no attacks there. Furthermore they couldn't have moved to attack either. Unless the hero just commited suicide by trying to go hand to hand with a zombie but even then he couldn't have recieved more than one wound...

The entire game the hero's just camped out in the same bloody buildings and got so itemed up I couldn't do jack all.

Seal off the doorways with your zombies then send in more Z's against the softy students. They are much more tasty anyways than the old priest and the dirty drifter Zombie03

Yep like others have said. Use 'em or lose 'em. Cycle through your zombie cards.

Hope this helped and good luck killing off the living. Keep gaming and you'll get 'em.Watchmen02

[/quote]
03-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I got to agree here with my fellow ghouls.
Cycle the zombie cards and check the rulebook again. Like Mqstout said, you might have misinterpreted the fighting rules.

Helping to remind the hero players that when the hero card pile is empty that it's game over for them also helps Zombie03
It put's of those lazy campers who keep searching and searching Zombie03

And camping...well...in my experience there is only one scenario that has an advantage by doing that and that is the Die Zombie Die one. All the others will have the hero's running around. They have to or they will nog find anything or reach their objectives.
Ignore the campers, that is what I do and I play zombies 99% of all the games we do.

Good luck and don't give up!

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
(03-01-2011 07:18 PM)phantomninja Wrote:  My friends always hide out in the damn gunshop and that gets annoying!!

I've found any scenario where the heroes have to search that is what they do. I try to just keep cycling through my cards til I get spawning and movement cards. Once you rush the building they tend to panic.
03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I can only echo what other people here have said. Cycle your cards quickly, and take another look at the combat rules. The combat rules are often misunderstood, and might be causing much of the problem. If you're playing where any doubles will kill a zombie, that's going to make it really rough on the zombie-player.

The heroes don't kill a zombie unless doubles are rolled AND there's at least one die (not necessarily one of the doubles-die) that is higher than the zombie's roll. For example:

1) The zombie rolls a 5. The hero rolls a 1 and a 1. The hero loses the fight and takes a wound.

2) The zombie rolls a 5. The hero rolls a 1 and a 6. The zombie is fended off, but is still around to keep harassing the hero.

3) The zombie rolls a 5. The hero rolls 3 fight dice and rolls two 1s and a 6. The zombie is killed.

I hope that helps!
03-04-2011, 05:32 AM
I think if you added these it would be more clear:

The zombie rolls a 5. The hero rolls a 5 and a 5. Tie Hero takes a wound (Unless hero wins on ties, then Zombie is dead)

The zombie rolls a 5. The hero rolls a 6 and a 6. Hero Wins and Zombie dies.