Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Zombie Card idea - Gunshot attracts zombies
11-16-2012, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 09:16 PM by StayPuft.)
Zombie Card idea - Gunshot attracts zombies
Again, I am placing this in the general discussion area instead of "Variants" since it is really just something I am discussing as a cool idea. I haven't created anything for it.

I was randomly thinking of "The Walking Dead," and how they usually try to use a knife or some kind of stabbing weapon to kill zombies (or as they say, "walkers") if they can avoid using their guns. The reason is, they know the sound of the gun will just attract more zombies.

That got me to thinking... That would make for a really cool idea for a Zombie Card! I imagine it kind of similar to the cards that allow you to avoid having a zombie be killed by a gun, and the cards that allow you make the hero have to discard their gun after it kills a zombie.

It would also kind of be like the "Smell of Brains" card you get with one of the online supplements. The basic idea would be you could play the card when a hero uses a gun (heck, maybe even whether or not they are successful, since thematically the zombie(s) would hear the gunshot whether or not you hit anything).

It would allow any zombies within a range of X number of spaces to move into the space with the hero, thereby forcing a fight. It should only be one, or MAYBE two cards in the deck, though. Not a bunch. That would be something I WOULD think was too powerful if there were more than just a few in the deck.

What do you think? If that seems too powerful, it could always be on a roll of 4+ or something like that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2012, 09:25 PM
RE: Zombie Card idea - Gunshot attracts zombies
Good card.

Attentive Zombies
Zombie Event
Play when a hero makes a ranged attack. All zombies on that board tile can move one space.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Great idea. It's frustrating when you have 4 heroes, all with guns, stacked in building. It's tough getting a zombie even close.
11-17-2012, 12:25 AM
I like it- give the players an incentive to not use firearms unless backed into a corner.
11-17-2012, 01:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 01:45 AM by ForestRunner.)
Like the concept. I'll get our group to playtest the following tonight as an actual rule following the Walking Dead theme, rather than just simply a card or two. Naturally such a rule should apply to explosions from a logic perspective.

1) Alert Zombies: When a Hero makes a Ranged Attack roll 1d6. All Zombies on that board tile can move one space on a roll of 4+. (simulating whilst the zombie is aware of the sound, it may not be fully aware of the exact location/direction).

2) Attentive Zombies: When a Hero makes a Ranged Attack, all Zombies on that board tile can move one space. (bloodbath variant - always fun to mess with Watchmen02)

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
I like the idea too. Like ForestRunner, to easily add this to the mix I would consider creating a general rule. However, it seems appropriate for it to come with a Dot Cost as it does shift the advantage for using firearms a tad.
But great idea, StayPuft. Great idea! +1 rep

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
11-18-2012, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 12:42 PM by ForestRunner.)
Trying it as a rule, believe or not, actually changes the character of LNoE quite a bit - but that's ok, if that's what you want. One thing we found not quite right, as written in my previous post, was the ability for the Zombie player to move towards another Hero. It's not a logical or thematic fit.

The bloodbath variant, was indeed - just that. Especially using it in Revenge of the Dead. Zombie04

RULE: So far, we've come up with this as an optional/house rule, but granted will need more testing... can be part of the dot point system - still weighing this up as I've added something else at the end for consideration:

Zombie Sense: When a Hero makes a Ranged Attack roll 1d6 for each Zombie on that board tile, that is not subject to Zombie Hunger rules. Results as follows:
1-2: No effect.
3: Zombie moves one space in any direction (Zombie Player's Choice) - simulates the Zombie is aware of the sound/vibrational disturbance, but cannot pinpoint exact location.
4-6: Zombie moves one space toward the Hero initiating the Ranged Attack, in a manner that would represent the shortest distance travelled towards the Hero - sort of like a semi Zombie Hunger rule.

NB:
1) The Hero may make the "Ranged Attack" at an empty space, but is still subect to any ammo exhaustion or discard rules associated with use of the weapon
- represents deliberate lure/bait.
2) Rule is applicable to the centre/square board.

Alternatively...

CARD: - instead of a rule, include the following cards in the Zombie Deck, at a frequency of 4 or 5 per 50 card deck. Just a guess using the Shamble card frequency in the TP deck.

Keen Senses - Zombie Event: When a Hero makes a Ranged Attack roll 1d6. All Zombies on that board tile can move one space toward the Hero initiating the Ranged Attack on a roll of 4+.

Whether Rule or Card, it does alter the use of ranged weapons a little, the Heroes are also in a position to use them more creatively as well - ie luring them towards existing fires or gas markers, or even luring them away like the Pied Gunslinger of Hamelin, or simply refrain from using them completely for select turns.

11-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Zombie Sense: When a Hero makes a Ranged Attack roll 1d6 for each Zombie on that board tile, that is not subject to Zombie Hunger rules. Results as follows:
1-2: No effect.
3: Zombie moves one space in any direction (Zombie Player's Choice) - simulates the Zombie is aware of the sound/vibrational disturbance, but cannot pinpoint exact location.
4-6: Zombie moves one space toward the Hero initiating the Ranged Attack, in a manner that would represent the shortest distance travelled towards the Hero - sort of like a semi Zombie Hunger rule.

I love this!!! I am making a variant of the game as an RPG. This is the perfect rule for ranged attacks. Thanks.
11-18-2012, 04:02 AM
(11-18-2012 03:33 AM)Brentis Wrote:  I love this!!! I am making a variant of the game as an RPG. This is the perfect rule for ranged attacks. Thanks.

Most of the credit should go to StayPuft for the concept. Please let us know how the rule fits/works as part of your testing.

LNoE RPG - I'd be in that for sure!!!

11-18-2012, 11:07 AM
It's simply the most brilliant idea for a custom rule for LNoE as its effects are both thematically appropriate and add a very interesting new strategic element. Simply excellent, StayPuft.

I'll add this as a general rule with a Dot Cost:

Summoning Blasts (2 Dots - ZP)

Gunshots:
When rolling to hit with a gun item, on the roll of +3, the number rolled indicates  the distance within which the gunshot may attract the dead.

For each zombie within attraction range roll a D6. On the roll of +3 the zombie may immediately move one space (D3 spaces if it's a zombie hero). Zombies may not ignore Zombie Hunger and must move directly towards the space from where the gun was fired. A zombie may only move once per turn as a result of Summoning Blasts.

Explosions:
An explosion (dynamite or gasoline blast) may attract zombies 6 spaces away. If a gun item is used to trigger an explosion, it's only the space where the explosion occured that may be used when rolling to attract zombies, not the space from where the triggering shot was fired.

For each zombie within attraction range roll a D6. On the roll of +3 the zombie may immediately move one space (D3 spaces if it's a zombie hero). Zombies may not ignore Zombie Hunger and must move directly towards the space where the blast occured. A zombie may only move once per turn as a result of Summoning Blasts.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"