Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Zombies or Heroes
Zombies
Heroes
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
who wins more in your games zombies or hereos?
02-08-2013, 01:16 AM
RE: who wins more in your games zombies or hereos?
when me and my wife play it seems like the zombies win most often regardless of who is controlling them, but we both just might be bad at using the heroes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Zombies, because i control them
03-03-2013, 08:13 AM
New to site and to game. I play with two others and I tend to lose a lot when I play as zombies. My opponents don't think I am using the cards to my fullest advantage. I tend to win when I play as heroes. My hero partner likes to play The Sheriff and Johnny. I like to try different combinations each time I play. The plague carriers scenario seems the most balanced, always ending on the last three turns, and at about a 60/40 victory split favoring heroes.
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
My money is usually on the zombies, although in many games it comes right down to the wire. Actually now thinking about it I usually play heroes so that is probably the reasons zombies win out.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Here’s how it usually goes when I play zombies in any given scenario (but we usually play Plague Carriers): note: edited for language.
Zombie turn: Nice, I have a “feel kinda strange” right away, I wonder if I can hurt one of those heroes.
Encroach upon Sally (or Johnny but usually Sally)
“Ha! I got a six, you’re taking a—“
Sally: “nope, reroll!” <smiles>
“Ha, five I still got you, and you are gonna be a zombie next time I wound you.”
Hero turn:
Sally: “nah, I’m going to play “At Last,” move away and use my student powers to heal myself.
Sheriff: “and you are in range for my revolver too! I’m going to search and shoot.” <Rolls 4> “Gotcha!”
Johnny: “Lookie here, I have a chainsaw. Time to plow through a bunch of zombies!” <moves through and kills 2 or 3 zombies>
Jake: “let’s see. How about I go to the junkyard so I can draw through the discard pile and get all the guns, first aid kits and hand weapons we’ve lost”
Zombie turn:
<moves 3 zombies into Sally’s square (or Johnny, but usually Sally)>
Zombie: “okay, we fight” <rolls a 2, loses. Rolls a 5, has to reroll and it’s a 1. Rolls a 6 and rerolls a 4—plays “Undead Hate the Living” and sally gets dual 6’s.
Sally: <laughs flippiantly>
Spawns 4 zombies in completely useless squares.
Hero Turn:
Sally: “Well, I can’t stay here” <rolls a 1> “screw that, I’m giving up my move action to heal since I’m impossible to kill anyway; we fight!”
Zombie: 1 <Rolls, wins but rerolls a loss>, Zombie 2 <rolls, wins, rerolls, wins>
Johnny: “I’ll save ya, Sally!” <lucky movement dice roll, plows through a wall of zombies, and quickly dispatches the two on Sally’s square> “and I know you don’t have “Last Night on Earth” because I saw you discard both of them!” <sticks tongue out>
Sheriff: “well, since I finally found “Laying Down the Law,” I guess I can go slaughter stuff now!” <walks out but no zombies in range….yet>
Jake: “Yahoo! In the junkyard, can draw crap next turn!”
Zombie Turn:
Surprise Attack! <Places zombie on Jake’s square. Wins fight> “Ha! You’re taking a—“
Jake: “Nope! “It’s Just a Scratch”!”
Zombie: <bellows something profane at Jake>
Jake: “what was that?”
Zombie: I said ‘I saw a…Fire Truck that reminded me of….you.” <good save>
Jake: “um…k.”
Zombie: “well since Johnny slaughtered all of my zombies I had in the middle of the board…I guess I will spawn.” <places a zombie in the junkyard>
Hero Turn:
Sheriff: “well since I have a revolver and “Laying Down the Law,” I might as well go help Jake search the junkyard.” <moves to junkyard>
Jake: “ye-heah! I am drawing two cards from the discard pile and keeping what I want, hehehe” <picks up a “Garden Shears”> “totally worth discarding my shotgun for this!”
Sally: “Giving up my move action to heal”
Johnny: “I’m going to slaughter the hospital with my winning on ties and my big’ol chainsaw here. Maybe take that last plague carrier too since we only have ten turns left to do it! Hahaha!”

Zombie player: <sighs>

And this is why I don’t like to play as zombies.
The end.
03-05-2013, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 06:16 PM by friskers96.)
Epic...

The sheriff is never that good for me. It always "I'm in range and I think I can pick him off Sally." *CLICK!* "DAMN! I forgot to load my gun again..."

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Aye. You'd think he only has a 50/50 chance to hit something and seems to miss and run out of ammo a lot....unless they get Laying Down the Law.
It is also fun when all four heroes have guns--and all four heroes can use guns because nobody plays the priest (except me when I am heroes, but I choose mine at random, I like variety). I discard, play useless cards, and draw and draw until I can get any movement plus cards I can get but by the time I get one I lose half my army. Very frustrating to play as zombies--or I just haven't found a good strategy.
The only time I won a game as zombies was the basic scenario when I moved all of my zombies into buildings so the hero players had to get close enough to a wall to risk being swarmed if they wanted to shoot at me.
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey,
I've recently got LNOE: Timber Peak and we played three of the scenarios in succession in our first session and the heroes won all three games!
Much to the frustration of the zombie player ;-)
In only one of the games ("Mountain of the dead" I think which has the zombies automatically spawning) was it even close.
I think the heroes got some very good rolls and picked off a lot of zombies from range.
But I'm hoping it won't be quite so one-sided in future games, otherwise it would be quite dull.
A good time was had by all though so we're looking foward to our next gaming session Watchmen02

"You can never be lost, if you don't care where you are..."
03-09-2013, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 12:52 AM by Kevthenurse.)
(03-08-2013 08:26 PM)Narfbuster Wrote:  Hey,
I've recently got LNOE: Timber Peak and we played three of the scenarios in succession in our first session and the heroes won all three games!
Much to the frustration of the zombie player ;-)
In only one of the games ("Mountain of the dead" I think which has the zombies automatically spawning) was it even close.
I think the heroes got some very good rolls and picked off a lot of zombies from range.
But I'm hoping it won't be quite so one-sided in future games, otherwise it would be quite dull.
A good time was had by all though so we're looking foward to our next gaming session Watchmen02
That seems to be how it goes. I ranted about the hunting rifle being too overpowered but I just think there are too many guns in the deck compared to how many responses the zombies have to them (Resilient cards for instance, we only have two).
But the advice I was given was that when playing zombies, work on breaking their LoS, hide in buildings, and if possible keep pressuring the armed-to-the-teeth heroes to keep moving around while you quietly build a zombie fence somewhere on the board to achieve your objective.
03-09-2013, 07:44 PM
I think they general game play makes it a fairly even match--keeping games competitive to the end with the chances for major reversals a long the way (one of the reasons I love the game so). I feel as an answer I would lean hero, but I would say this as a caveat as well...

it seems to me the experience of the players has a lot to do with win ratio. I think with greener heroes playing, the zombies have a far higher success rate. when there are fresh zombies playing against a squad of veteran heroes--heroes manage to wiggle through the powerful attack cards.

our group tends to fall somewhere in the middle as we have a consistent mix of both kinds of players on both sides, though because of their number the heroes tend to have a bit more overall experience on their side. I'd say we only have one expert zombie player and a couple of good zombie masters in training, whereas we have several ace hero strategists. this has been giving the edge to the heroes, though since the switch to Timber Peak as the base... I feel the zombies are creeping back up as the heroes refactor their typical fall back strategies...

"with just a touch of my burning hand..."