TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: What games have you bought recently?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
(05-23-2022 10:29 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote: [ -> ]How much Lovecraft does 1 man need? Although I'm currently on a Bladeborn Age of Sigmar kick I came across a good
price on Reign of Cthulhu (Pandemic) .& I ordered it.

It's been out for several years but I've passed as has it multiple Old Ones your investigating which I've never considered
as very logical. However I worked out some Home Rules so only 1 Old One is being investigated.There were a couple of Variants
on BGG that allowed you to use only 1 Investigator ,panicked Townsfolk & a way to get the benefit of multiple Inv. while only
using one.

So I put them all together into my home Rules & turned the Game into expanding my Joe Diamond Mythos Detective Game.
The Game comes with several Investigators 1 of which is a Detective so it hangs together.

OD
Valid Question. I'm wondering if I need to stick to my favorites and thin the veritable herd I have accrued at this point. Some get played significantly less than others and as one of the more reliable themes, I tend to enjoy most of them. The Pandemic system has always been of middling interest to me, so I haven't gone out of my way to get the Cthulu edition, but I hope you like it!

I think My favorite Cthulu games in order would be

1. AToE, if you count the Cthulu-Esq Unspeakable Horror Villain
2. Cthulu Death May Die
3. Arkham Horror 3E
4. Deep Madness
5. Arkham Horror 2E

It's making it difficult to favor stuff like Eldritch Horror, or Mansions of Madness when I already have 5 games I'd usually rather play... I don't even own AH2E anymore, but it sees regular play at my game group.
We liked Pandemic and horror themed games, so I've been considering Reign of Cthulhu. OTOH, I'm trying to trim the collection. Decisions, decisions...

(05-26-2022 08:17 PM)Raynor Wrote: [ -> ]I think My favorite Cthulu games in order would be

1. AToE, if you count the Cthulu-Esq Unspeakable Horror Villain
2. Cthulu Death May Die
3. Arkham Horror 3E
4. Deep Madness
5. Arkham Horror 2E

It's making it difficult to favor stuff like Eldritch Horror, or Mansions of Madness when I already have 5 games I'd usually rather play... I don't even own AH2E anymore, but it sees regular play at my game group.

Awhile back I was looking at different horror games. AToE was one I considered, but ended up with AH3 because I like the modular board idea (easier to expand). Getting it for a decent price on auction tipped the scales. Then someone in our group managed to get MoM2 for free (long story) and some decent discounts on expansions.

CDMD looks great, but I think that price range is way out of our league. Insane19
I went through a big purge last month and just ended up putting whatever money I got from selling games right back into new games. Gen con proved to be a great place to pick up games too, who knew! I’ve gone before but this was the first year I was in some Facebook trading groups and a good amount of people were selling in prep to raise Gen con money and the con itself was a great place for exchanges. Gen Con also has a tendency to infuse me with a bunch of energy and willingness to learn new games too.

As a result I ended up grabbing Bardsung and Massive Darkness 2 and learning them both the last two weeks.

Bardsung I probably won’t hang onto forever, but it’s the closest game to Shadows of Brimstone I’ve seen, with flipping tiles, encounter cards, and leveling up. The rulebook is a little rough but once you’re through it the game itself is really well streamlined and fun if you like typical dnd dungeon crawls. It works solo a lot better than Shadows does, which was what convinced me to pick it up despite preferring Shadows of Brimstone in most respects. I’ve heard some complaints that it is too Grindy, but honestly sometimes I’m just in the mood to do some grindy dungeon crawling so it’s been perfect so far.

Massive Darkness 2 I had no interest in at all but everyone kept raving about it, and anyone who complained about Bardsung also sang praises to MD2. I’d gotten to try Bardsung before I decided to grab a copy so I was curious what could make people like this one so much when I quite enjoyed Bardsung.

Well… they were right. MD2 has a lot of that Zombicide dna in it, but instead of being a zombie game with dungeon crawler mechanics it is just a true blue dungeon crawler. In Shadows of Brimstone or the above mentioned Bardsung, you’re in it for the long haul. They’re campaign games where you don’t really get the full experience without committing to a whole series of game sessions. It can be fun but frankly it’s limiting. My favorite games have always been scenario based (aToE, Arkham Horror, etc) But there’s definitely an appeal to leveling up a character that you get from these longer campaign games. MD2 manages to bake the appeal and function of a level up system right into a single session scenario game, and it’s lovely. So while I’m having a great time with Bardsung right now as a mostly solo game in place of a good Shadows of Brimstone group, Massive Darkness 2 fits my normal collection staple type exceptionally well and I expect I’ll be playing it for a long time to come as the snappy dungeon crawl of choice.

Anyway, most of my energy has been going into learning these two systems this month. Been a great time

Highlights of my demos at gen con were Oathsworn and Foundations of Rome, which were both exceptionally fun demos.
Living in Fin Del Mundo ,I've never been to a Gaming Convention so I envy you. I have MD#1
& all it's Expansions so I never seriously considered MD2.

Recently (well this past year) I've been perusing the GW Games they sell via Barnes & Noble (fast play skirmish
Games reasonably priced StormVault,Bladeborn,Crypt Hunter (all set in the AoS) & I just picked up Doomsday
Countdown (set in 40K- it's Crypt Hunter with Guns & Chaos Cultist).

OD
I bought 2 new games recently.

Apex Theropod Deckbuilder Collected Edition

I love dinosaurs since my childhood, so this was a no brainer for me.
And it's a really good Deckbuilder. It jumped directly in my top 10 of my favorite boardgames.

Maximum Apocalypse Legendary Edition

This one blew me away.
You have 11 playable characters. Each with his own 30 card action deck.
There are 11 possible Apocalypse to survive, most of them have 3 missions.
My group had a blast playing it.

Hope you give them a try.
Thanks for sharing! I’m not much for deck builders unfortunately. Even Dark Gothic wasn’t enough to change my mind, so I steer clear of them most of the time now. Maximum Apocalypse sounds fun though! I’ve heard the name but never looked into it before.
I'm team Raynor on deck builders, I have a couple but after trying a play I shelfed them.
Maximum Apocalypse Legendary Edition does look cool & it has a Gothic Expansion that
includes a Lovecraft Mission.

The cost however is a bit off setting.

OD
I recently picked up Talisman 2nd ed (1983). and I love it!Watchmen02 I've played it several times plus I've ordered some figures to use with it. The best way to describe it is like a fantasy version of Monopoly. I played on Friday my friend got turned into a frog, haunted by a poltergeist, beat up in a pub by a farmer and then got blind drunk in the pub. It's very luck based but just hilarious. Oh and the artwork is to die for.

I also picked up Dungeonquest (1985) but I haven't played it yet. I'll let you know my thoughts on it. I've heard it's an absolute killer where you can just die in the 1st couple of turns.

They're both really early Games Workshop games. I managed to snag them both in a bundle for £25 ($27.66).
Nice Deal...I had Talisman 2nd ed,but it went in the sale when I moved. I have the 2010 FFG Dungeonquest edition & it's a
killer. Basically you just see how long it takes before the Game kills your character but it's fun.

I did a couple of Session Reports back in the day if I can find them I post them up.

OD
(10-10-2022 08:51 PM)samuraitrev Wrote: [ -> ]I recently picked up Talisman 2nd ed (1983). and I love it!Watchmen02 I've played it several times plus I've ordered some figures to use with it. The best way to describe it is like a fantasy version of Monopoly. I played on Friday my friend got turned into a frog, haunted by a poltergeist, beat up in a pub by a farmer and then got blind drunk in the pub. It's very luck based but just hilarious. Oh and the artwork is to die for.

I also picked up Dungeonquest (1985) but I haven't played it yet. I'll let you know my thoughts on it. I've heard it's an absolute killer where you can just die in the 1st couple of turns.

They're both really early Games Workshop games. I managed to snag them both in a bundle for £25 ($27.66).
Wow, I really want to try Talisman but haven't seen a copy in years. It was really popular back when I was first getting into LNoE and aToE and I'm pretty sure my neighbors had a copy, but they owned like 150 games at the time so I got to try maybe a third of them. It didn't stand out to me at the time, and I only developed an interest in more recent years when I started hearing all this love for the game from people who'd played it back in the day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Reference URL's