Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno Expansion Released!
02-10-2011, 02:10 AM
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno Expansion Released!
(02-10-2011 02:06 AM)jpower Wrote:  This expansion looks really cool. I will have to download it for my friend who owns the game...we can play it one day.

I haven't looked at it in great detail yet. I thought I would read all of the posts here first. I notice people are saying that they are printing this stuff on 11x17 printers...will a regular colour-laser home printer not print these out to the right size?? I have a standard colour laser and inkjet printer and I don't think they support 11x17.

Thanks for all your hard work. It's people like you who make these games that much more interesting. I'm sure I'll be writing back some more after I've gone through the material in detail Watchmen02

The boards don't fit on 8.5 x 11 paper. They boards are nearly 11 x 11 themselves. They are the same size as the official boards. I suppose you could print them out on two 8.5x11 and tape them together.

Perhaps your friend has a 11x17 capable printer?

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 02:24 AM by Talos.)
My colour laser won't do 11x17, but it does allow me to 'poster-ise' larger images, which I can then glue to thick card stock and seal with laminate or a spray sealer. The only annoying thing about that is that it splits the print into 4 sheets when it only needs to be two. That means more joins to mate...
02-10-2011, 02:25 AM
(02-10-2011 02:22 AM)Talos Wrote:  My colour laser won't do 11x17, but it does allow me to 'poster-ise' larger images, which I can then glue to thick card stock and seal with laminate or a spray sealer.

That posterise option is unique to your printer software's driver? Or is that an option in another software program? I'm not sure if my printer does that or not. WOrst case scenario I'll take the files to walmart or somewhere to print and then stick them on cardstock or something.
02-10-2011, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 02:32 AM by D153453D.)
iamadoorknob said he spent like 25 bucks to print all 4 on thick board and have them laminated. I asked him for pictures, and hopefully he'll share. Ryuk's post has information about printing costs too.

(02-06-2011 03:15 AM)Ryuk Wrote:  I went to Kinko's today to ask about printing prices and stuff. (I've never been in the place before).
They said to print on card stock and laminate 11x17 would be $6.92. (Laminate is $3.99)
Office Max said print/laminate would be $3.50. (Print on paper, but they said after lamination it would be quite thick)
Each store also had a thick foam board that I thought might be a good idea for the tokens. They said that the foam board could also be laminated but I have my doubts as to whether after lamination this could then be cut up without ruining the laminate. (Seems like it would peel/flake apart)

Anyone know about the quality of the printing in these stores?
Is this a good idea or is there a better/cheaper way to go?
Am I right about ruining the laminate when cutting it up?

Again, I'm looking forward to see iamadoorknob's results as he said they came out to look identical with the offical ones... only shiner beacuse of the laminate.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
02-10-2011, 02:45 AM
The posterise option is part of the printer driver software for my Dell 1320C. It does booklet prints too.
If you search for poster printing software on Google you will find a number of freeware packages that do the same thing.
02-10-2011, 04:45 AM
As far as cutting the tokens up, I believe you can get circular paper punches of varying diameters that might do the trick without messing up the laminating.
I've tried cutting circular counters printed on thin card stock by hand and it has always ended up looking shoddy.
02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
I see a lot of people talking about laminating and cutting stuff out. If i can share my advice pertaining to this maybe it will help someone.

Firstly, if you know a teacher ask them if they can take the stuff to their school and laminate it for you Watchmen02 Some schools have the equipment to do so...just don't broadcast that you're doing it Watchmen02

Secondly, if you printed off the sheet of tiles, then laminated it, it wouldn't be a good idea to cut the stuff out right after because the laminate will no longer be sealed. when they laminate the printed sheet it will be sealed all the way around the outside edges of the printed sheet. When you start cutting the individual tiles out of the sheet then you will end up with laminate on the top and bottoms of your tiles, but they will no longer be sealed. This obviously reduces the amount of protection of your tiles.

If you want to cut stuff out you'd have to print the sheet off, cut out all the tiles, arrange them onto a sheet of laminate with enough space between each of the tiles that the seal forms, THEN you can cut off the excess.

The first time I had documents for school laminated I didn't think about the process and I ended up with the scenario I described here in this post (exposed around the edges). Some people sound like they're tight for cash so I would hate to see someone go and spend all the money of getting the stuff laminated and then realize the problem afterwards.
02-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the input, jpower.

02-11-2011, 03:44 AM
As for cutting out circles, look in the scrapbooking section of your local craft store, usually they have circle punches in a variety of diameters. Don't know about the price, however.
02-12-2011, 01:55 AM
(02-10-2011 11:52 PM)jpower Wrote:  I see a lot of people talking about laminating and cutting stuff out. If you printed off the sheet of tiles, then laminated it, it wouldn't be a good idea to cut the stuff out right after because the laminate will no longer be sealed. when they laminate the printed sheet it will be sealed all the way around the outside edges of the printed sheet. When you start cutting the individual tiles out of the sheet then you will end up with laminate on the top and bottoms of your tiles, but they will no longer be sealed.

Thanks, jpower. This is exactly what I thought would happen but I didn't have any cutting-up-laminated-stuff experience.

Decades ago, my mother worked for the library system and I seem to remember getting her to laminate some D&D character sheets.

But of course, one would rather cut off one's own arm than cut up one's D&D character sheet.

Just say NO to 'house rules'.