TheZombieGame.com Forums

Full Version: How did you first discover Last Night On Earth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Never been a big board gamer or zombie fanatic. I just happened to pick up a copy off thinkgeek.com for my girlfriend as a christmas gift. She loves all things Zombie. Once I read the rule book and could comprehend the possiblities of this game I was freakin hooked! I immediately went to the LNOE website to see what else was available from the makers. I was like, "Oh, I'm getting that...and that...and that!". I bought a bunch of stuff, downloaded the free scenarios, started a 'rules' binder, and joined you guyz here on the forums all before playing my first game! It did not disappoint! At first i was interested in killing zeds but now i prefer playing as them. Needless to say it turned out i was buying myself a christmas gift! A kick@$$ gift if i say so myself.
(08-14-2012 12:16 AM)Sharkey Wrote: [ -> ]I was actually looking at "Betrayal at the House on the Hill" on Amazon, which my Swedish friend recommended, when I spotted LNOE in the "Others have bought..." section. Looked into it and was simply sold on the game's premise. Got the game last friday, played it 3 times Saturday night with a bunch of friends, and am totally hooked! I should have Growing Hunger, Survival of the Fittest, and Hero Pack 1 waiting for me at home when I get off work tonight!

I'm probably going to wait on Timber Peak while I explore my new expansions first, but I'll be at PAX Prime later this month, and if I see a copy for sale I may not be able to stop myself from getting it, lol.

You sound just the way I feel! LOL! I only even heard about this game fairly recently (I believe it was March of this year when I played it with friends) and finally got it for my birthday (early June). So, I'm fairly new to the game. I'm trying to wait and enjoy the base game for a while before getting any of the expansions.

But it is SO hard to wait! LOL! I just want it all! The way I look at it, though, if I rush out and get it all, then I miss out on getting to collect piece by piece, and enjoy each expansion separately, as it adds a little more to the game. I have nothing against those who like to just rush out and get everything. To each his own. But, I like to space it out.

... But this game makes it really hard! LOL! There is so much cool stuff in the expansions, that I am having a hard time waiting! My gaming group doesn't help. Some of them have the expansions as well, and those who don't are constantly buying them from the comic shop in between games. LOL!
I happened upon LNOE while wandering the local comic and gaming mecca in the area, The Source. I had previously purchased Zombies!!! up thru the third expansion, and LNOE caught my eye so I picked it up to look at the back of the box to see how it might compare. It looked interesting, but I was gun shy of the price tag. The next day at work I had some down time and found the rulebook online and read thru it - I could not wait to get back to The Source to pick it up! I think I played it that night with a buddy, and within days found myself back at The Source to pick up the Hero Pack. Since then I have gathered nearly everything frog, missing only Advanced Abilities and the Cloaked Martians.

I have seen a handful of posts of people wanting to enjoy what they have and slowly gather the expansions. The method that I used with LNOE (after the quick purchase of Hero Pack) was that I would not allow myself to buy the next expansion until I had played all of the available Scenarios. That seemed to work nicely.
I kept hearing about how great coop games LNOE and ATOE are from the Other Games forum on rpg.net and eventually decided to try them out.

That forum's cost me more money than I want to think about... Watchmen02
I was browsing Thinkgeek and saw it listed. I saw how ridiculously over priced it was and bought it off of Amazon. Me and my friend have been playing regularly ever since. This is my favorite board game ever!
I went to PAX East with some friends from college this year. In their board game section they had a copy you could play and we played it. My one friend had played it before and played Zombies, I liked it so much I bought it there and came home and people at home loved it so I started getting expansions. I should have the whole game by this Christmas, just need the Web exclusives and Timber peak.

I GM a lot of RPG's and the main reason I love LNOE is you can play it with casual players, hardcore strategy types and people who like to get into their character. All the people I game with like it and can easily find their own niche.
(09-04-2012 02:02 PM)Phantaskippy Wrote: [ -> ]I GM a lot of RPG's and the main reason I love LNOE is you can play it with casual players, hardcore strategy types and people who like to get into their character. All the people I game with like it and can easily find their own niche.

Exactly. That is one of the things I love best about LNOE. Anybody can play it, and anybody can win. True, being a seasoned player will help you, but it cannot guarantee a victory. A seasoned player could wind up losing easily to a first time player. This game is the perfect mix to be fun for everybody.

I love board games of all kinds, but to me, when the rules are too complicated, it just isn't quite as fun. I know some games take a bit of a learning curve, but if I spend the whole first time playing thinking "I have no idea what the Hell I'm doing or why I'm doing it" then it makes me less likely to even want to bother playing it again. LNOE's rules are complicated at first, but not overly complicated.

I'll give you an example. Last week, after a game of LNOE, my group played Chaos in the Old World for the first time. I thought the game was fun and all, but the rules were just a bit too complicated at first. To me, there was a little too much strategy, which makes a game very hard to understand at first. I mean, I'm sure once you've played a while you start to learn what areas to try to take over, when to intentionally fight other enemies and when to instead try to go to unoccupied areas, etc. But, to me, I just didn't find it interesting enough that I'd want to play again, and the over-reliance on strategy is part of why.
I have a few friends who play board games about once or twice a month. Wouldn't call us gamers, per se - more like we are just over the bar and nightlife scene and would rather socialize over some beer, wine and a board game.

Anyway, my friend Laura just moved so I was going to pick her up a new game as a housewarming gift (better than a plant, right?). Saw the Walking Dead games (comic & tv versions), and went online to find out which one played better.

The reviews online weren't so great, and nearly everything I read directed me to LNOE. So I started reading about LNOE, called up a local game shop I had driven past a few times, and picked it up.

Suffice it to say...I kept the game and picked her up a plant as her housewarming gift. Watchmen02
LOL! Kassle, that was a great story. ;-) You'll have to let your friend play the game with you sometime. Just don't share the fact that you originally picked it up meaning to get it for her. ;-)
It was about three years ago,the wife and I played hooky and went out to lunch and drove out to a mall in the next county we never go to. While walking around we seen a store called Recess that we never seen or heard of before. So we went in and looked around and these games in these square boxes caught my eye and being a zombie fan that I am picked up LNOE.
The guy praised it and told us all about it and I wanted to get it but the wife and I were put off because of the $50-$60 price tag at that time.
So we looked around a bit more thought about it and kinda just left with nothing,but I couldnt get that board game out of my head for the next few days so I thought maybe I'll look it up online to see if I could find out anything about it "I doubted it" So googled up LNOE and couldnt believe my eye's on how popular board game's were! I found a site called Board Game Geek "maybe you heard of it" and seen ratings,reviews and everything else you could think of,I was blown away seeing how I never played any type of game that didnt come from a main stream store.

So actually before I was going out to that store to buy it,I seen that was a copy for sale on craigslist for $20 and went and bought that.
So Recess introduced me to LNOE and since then I have over 60 games in my collection. At the moment I spend more time with the board game hobby then by beloved video games,Who would have thought!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Reference URL's